Thursday, January 26, 2012

SURFING ON SATURDAY

Surfing on Saturday with my wife was more than just another surfing day for me. Just four days ago, I was all excited in the morning waiting for it to get light outside and the phone rang.  My wife called me, and had to tell me that my Uncle Jim died, and that I needed to call my dad.  While talking to my father, it was hard to figure out my emotions and how this news was sinking in.  After the phone call, I had to wonder if surfing was the right idea at this moment.  Then I realized that Jim would have wanted me to do what I love, and that is what I did.  Sitting out on my board all by myself out in the water, all of my great memories of Jim came flooding back to me.  I truely felt connected to him as I was surfing for two hours all alone, it was as if these waves were here today to make the news easier and celebrate his life. 
Now coming back to Saturday, most of my family was down in Raymond with the rest of the family, and I stayed behind. I realized that I wasn't ready for such a gathering and waited for a happier event next weekend when my cousin would get married. Saturday was suppose to bring a southwest wind and not very strong, but ended up turning to a northwest wind and made a shorebreak.  Then the shorebreak became two to three foot waves that formed further out.  This was a great moment, I had the pleasure of surfing with my wife for almost two hours that day.  It was nice to have this moment with my wife, and not just take it for granted.  The waves were good and the sun was out and I felt the family spirit inside me.
For all the family out there, I love you guys.  



1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post. Although Jim's passing is very sad, I was glad it brought us all together a little closer as a family. Here's to family and making the most of the time we have together! Love you.

    ReplyDelete